[Imports] Massachusetts road data

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 09:50:00 BST 2011

Speaking as someone who has used large aerials, there are essentially three
options.

1. Host them with a WMS server
2. Host them using TMS (tiled slippymap images)
3. Offer them for download as GeoTIFF or MrSID

The third is often the easiest but requires the users to be able to do one
of the first two options themselves, which can be moderately difficult.

The other two are different options for serving up from your server. WMS is
the more traditional option. My experience has been that TMS is faster,
requires less processing while serving and is easier to set up. It also
requires more processing before setting up and more disk space. I would have
converted my Surrey orthos to TMS if there were faster free options for
doing so.

Both 1 and 2 work with JOSM. I believe only TMS works with Potlach2, but I
don't know as I don't use Potlach.

I would suggest offering them for download even if you have them available
as a WMS or TMS.

Just for reference, the orthos I got from the city were about 9 GB as a
MrSID and about 170 GB as a GeoTIFF. I used an external HD to get them from
the city.