[Imports] 21M SimpleGEO CC0 POIs

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:53:51 BST 2011

I've been poking through the data and wrote a quick JOSM plugin a while back
when SimpleGeo's API was free to query the view's bbox and discovered that
there's a LOT of places but quite a few of them are old or misplaced.

Basically, it won't be very helpful to import wholesale, but since it has
phone numbers and addresses it might be useful to use as an overlay in the
editors to bring in extra information for existing OSM data. You could also
bring it in piece-by-piece if you know the POI is there.

Based on this, I'm thinking about putting all of the data into a simple
read-only OSM API so that editors could query it as a secondary layer to
help with editing.