[Imports] Proposal for proper OSM import solution (OpenMetaMap)

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:21:06 UTC 2011

I'd think that Importing all datasets into Koordinates.com, and using
that as a basis for choosing what data to add to OSM would be a smart
move.

Potlatch2 does allow for shp files that are stored on an ftp site
(dropbox?) so the data can be used.

Thinking outside the box also means that there is lots of 'prep work'
that is required when thinking of adding data to OSM.

Of course, all data can be injected into CommonMap, but i think that
Koordinates.com can offer the 'common' ground for OSMrs.

cheers,
Sam

On 8/18/11, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jaak Laineste <jaak at nutiteq.com> wrote:
>> Core of the idea is to avoid external data imports and reserve OSM
>> database for what was meant for: community-sourced (manual) mapping.
>
> I don't intend to turn this into a debate, but please keep in mind
> that there are differences of opinion as to what OSM "was meant for",
> as acceptability of imports varies by region.
> -Josh

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn