[Imports] Proposal for proper OSM import solution (OpenMetaMap)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Aug 19 11:07:58 UTC 2011

Jaak Laineste <jaak at nutiteq.com> writes:

> My friends have told me that they don't dare update my home town in
> OSM as there is already detailed import there (done by me).

I don't understand this.  I live in an area with a lot of imports
(dot/massgis roads, massgis library/school/etc., massgis open space,
plus GNIS).  While the massgis data sets are generally very high
quality, there are some things wrong.  I have felt entirely free to fix
this data - and no one in the osm community has ever suggested
otherwise.  When I was really new I asked Christopher about the
etiquette of changing data from others without asking, but got back a
very quick encouragement to fix anything I knew was wrong.

If the problem is that these people aren't sure whether the current data
is wrong, hesitation is warranted, but that's not about whether the data
is from imports.

If you have more insight, I think that would be helpful.