[Imports] Update: Somalia places imported; roads up next

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 17:49:28 UTC 2011

On 19 August 2011 19:40, Schuyler Erle <schuyler at nocat.net> wrote:
> (removing the HOT list from this thread)
>
> On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:12 AM, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>
>> As Toby said ogr2osm can create the multipolygons deduplicating ways
>> and nodes, but you will need additional logic for setting the right
>> admin_level on the ways...
>
> I was going to massage the data in PostGIS first, so not a problem.

Ok.

>> ... and you probably want to leave out the country
>> boundary which is already in OSM (so the border district relation will
>> need manual fixing up).  I have a python script that I used to do this
>> for the Spanish borders which had 3 admin levels combined and uploaded
>> together, including adding wikipedia= and population= tags iirc.
>
> Well, this is the other part I'm a little concerned by. Andrzej, do you - or does anyone else - have any suggestions for how to dedupe nodes with the existing national boundaries in OSM?

Unless the data origins from the same source as our OSM boundaries,
the nodes probably won't overlap, so I'd leave this as a manual step.
Then there's still the question of the districts touching the coasts
-- should the boundary relations have the coast or the maritime
country boundary as their members?

Cheers