[Imports] Proposal for proper OSM import solution (OpenMetaMap)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Aug 24 16:57:34 UTC 2011

> On 08/18/2011 03:23 AM, Jaak Laineste wrote:
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenMetaMap

When I look at statement "I put my dataset online using OpenMetaMap API"
I immediately react "why invent a new standard?".  The linkable datasets
could have a variety of APIs drawn from existing standards (e.g.
shapefiles, kml, web feature servers (WFS)).  You'll get a more robust
system if you leverage an existing feed rather than requiring data
providers to invent one just for osm.

The proposal needs to address the end-user editing experience.  When
user sees a feature on a map that is "wrong", how do they identify where
the data came from, and understand the chain of actions needed to apply
a correction?  You're talking about rather major additions to every
single osm editing tool.

-----

I see the huge advantage of this approach is the licensing.  As you
write "/OSM would not become derivate from any external databases, only
the rendering would be/".  There are many many good datasets that are
free to use, but not compatible with OSM's licenses.