[Imports] Reducing primary key damage (Branch from OpenMetaMap discussion)

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:33:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> Here's a case where a tool fix could do a world of good.
> The Potlatch/2 "R" shortcut does not work to copy tags from a node to a way.
> Converting a POI node to a building outline is thus a skilled task if you
> don't want to damage the original tags.

Bryce, you're making a lot of assumptions in this mail.

First, by the way, I think this isn't the right forum to discuss PL2
features. We have a dev list, and a trac, and I know for sure that PL2
contributions are welcome!

That said, your premise that user don't preserve tags now is wrong.
Since I was the one who gave the example, I'll tell you that I do copy
tags from the GNIS features. It's a copy and paste operation in Josm.
"Copy" on the node, and "Paste" on the way.

"Convert node to way" sounds complicated in comparison.

But also, one cannot ever assume that people will do this.

I know Ian (who did the GNIS imports) gets ruffled feathers when I
mention to him that sometimes if there are duplicate GNIS features in
an area, I've just deleted one that I thought was "less correct".

I could have (probably should have) taken the gnis id tag and merged
it with the existing feature, but the point is in our dataset, one
can't assume that links between the imported object and the current
object exist. You can't assume it through object IDs and you can't
really assume it through tags. There will be edge cases in both sides
which keep it from always being true.

> Would import folks get behind improvements to Potlatch to reduce damage to
> imported features?

Patches welcome, I'm sure the PL2 developers would say!

- Serge