[Imports] Bus data for Fairfax Connector, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Aug 28 20:38:04 UTC 2011

On 8/28/2011 12:14 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> In the osm data we have a choice: even if the name field is blank the
> icon will render just fine. If tools can't deal with bus stops without
> name then the tools need improvement.

   The current tools are fine - having a name reference is an aid to the
OSM mapper.  Without a name, the bus stops are a bunch of anonymous
dots.     The way this import script creates names is a help to anyone
trying to follow printed directions.  Even if they don't know where to
pull the "Stop cable", they can tell the driver they need to get off at
the stop near "East Main Street @ Market Street".

> Quite probably the osm mapper could provide data /to/ such operators, in
> _reverse of the usual import pattern._ Osm --> gtfs would be an
> interesting experiment.

   I'm doing exactly this now.  The local agency's data is so far out of
date that it is useless, so I'm re-surveying it all. I am looking at
Go-Sync to pull the stops out of OSM into GTFS.   I will probably have
to write something to extract the route paths from the bus route relations.