[Imports] Proposal for OpenMetaMap - proper OSM import solution

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:57:50 UTC 2011

Hello,

 Based on my own long-time thinking and small talk in WhereCamp Berlin
I created request for comments on kind of different approach to
imports called meta-mapping.

 Core of the idea is to avoid external data imports and reserve OSM
database for what was meant for: community-sourced (manual) mapping.
But it is not plain "banning imports", it is to provide alternative
tool (I call it OpenMetaMap) which enables to link various external
data sources with OSM data, with much better flexibility than with
current import approach.

 My proposal is in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenMetaMap ,
any positive and negative comments (especially help to actually
implement it) is most welcome.

JaakL