[Imports] Converting Fairfax County, Virginia government Shapefile of streets to OSM

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sun Dec 4 21:16:02 GMT 2011

I just recently noticed that Fairfax County, VA added the street
centerline data to their website, and it is fairly recent
(2011/10/17). I had previously gotten permission to use this data from
FCDOT, but it was in ESRI GeoDatabase format and wasn't publicly
accessible. Also they've added better attribution (differentiating
Interstate highways from primary roads, marking highway links, etc.).
I've converted the data to OSM as best I can (e.g. expanding street
suffixes) but I would appreciate others reviewing it:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fairfax_County,_Virginia/Roads

The table on the wiki is a rough mapping, for details the ogr2osm
translation script is provided further down the page. As mentioned on
the wiki page, this is not for mass import but for adding new
subdivisions in JOSM, replacing bad TIGER data, manual conflation with
Potlatch2 [1], etc.

You can either download the data yourself and run the translation
script, or download this extract of the converted data:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23634456/osm/braddock_streets.zip (ZIP of .osm file)

Regards,
-Josh

[1]: http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2011/10/24/osm-merging-tool/