[Imports] Converting Fairfax County, Virginia government Shapefile of streets to OSM

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Dec 5 00:32:58 GMT 2011

> From: Josh Doe [mailto:josh at joshdoe.com]
> Subject: [Imports] Converting Fairfax County, Virginia government
> Shapefile of streets to OSM
>
> I just recently noticed that Fairfax County, VA added the street
> centerline data to their website, and it is fairly recent (2011/10/17).
> I had previously gotten permission to use this data from FCDOT, but it
> was in ESRI GeoDatabase format and wasn't publicly accessible. Also
> they've added better attribution (differentiating Interstate highways
> from primary roads, marking highway links, etc.).
> I've converted the data to OSM as best I can (e.g. expanding street
> suffixes) but I would appreciate others reviewing it:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fairfax_County,_Virginia/Roads
>
> The table on the wiki is a rough mapping, for details the ogr2osm
> translation script is provided further down the page. As mentioned on
> the wiki page, this is not for mass import but for adding new
> subdivisions in JOSM, replacing bad TIGER data, manual conflation with
> Potlatch2 [1], etc.
>
> You can either download the data yourself and run the translation
> script, or download this extract of the converted data:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23634456/osm/braddock_streets.zip (ZIP of .osm
> file)

I had a look at the conversion (based on the wiki page) and the only issue I
saw was some 1 mph roads which are likely issues in the source data.

Some of the ways are over-noded and there's the continual problem of trying
to distinguish between highway=residential and highway=unclassified. I
generally use residential as the default value.

You'll also have to dis-entangle roads below bridges from the bridges, but
that's fairly normal.