[Imports] US Golf Courses from GNIS

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 07:03:50 UTC 2011

More problems I found by just downloading all leisure=golf_course
objects and randomly browsing around some of Kansas/Nebraska with Bing
imagery.

Can't idenfity on aerial. I could just be missing it. Or GNIS position
might be off by a lot. Some are in the middle of a town without so
much as a full block of grass anywhere near them. Or it may have been
closed but is still in GNIS. It is unlikely that it is a new golf
course. Bing imagery seems to be pretty recent (2010) in most areas I
looked at.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556624422
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556638495
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556635779
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556635714
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556624015
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556625367
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556625957
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556631507
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556638863

Two golf courses in close proximity that are probably the same course,
maybe known by two different names:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556638410
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556627728
and
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556624801
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1556639241

Were these not in GNIS or were they excluded because of an existing
way? Could have maybe used GNIS data to add a name to the existing
way:

Toby