[Imports] question

Tyler Ritchie tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 19:01:30 GMT 2011

> Hi I’m new user and I have some questions

Welcome, the wiki [1] has the answers to most of your questions but I'll see
if I can help. I'll preface this all with I am not a lawyer and this does
not constitute as legal advice.

>  Is it possible to receive the map of the whole territory of country for
> example* *Armenia * * in easy editable format in order to edit without
> help of your site.

Yes (see below) but making many of the edits on the OSM base map is probably
a good way to go. And depending on the edits you would need to make those
changes available back to the OSM project. (see:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases )

> For example in PDF and with different layers in order to have possibility
> to edit map part by part. For example to change names of the streets - it
> means the whole map divided to the layers in order to correct mistakes and
> to edit my own information.

Yup, see the OSM on paper wiki page [2] many of those options will output a
PDF. The osm wiki page for QGIS [3] may also be helpful.

> I can confirm that changes or additions will be made.
> Especially the most important question I am interested in is the legal one,
> on your site I could not find the information about it. I would like to use
> it in my own commercial purposes and in printed format. How I can receive
> the right for it?

You have the license to use the data however you wish as long as you comply
with the CC-BY-SA 2.0 license [4] and OdbL licence [5]. Which essentially
say you can do whatever you want with the data as long as you redistribute
your derivative work with the same conditions (give attribution to OSM and
allow derivative works). So if you say edited the OSM map of Armenia, fixed
it up and sold it for 20,000 dram someone could legally buy the map and
incorporate those changes back into OSM attributing you and your map. They
wouldn't need to ask you for permission or even let you know they'd done it
(that would be the polite thing to do, as you've done, but it's
unnecessary).

> If you will transfer the information in convenient format to me, from my
> side I can confirm to specify the reference to you in printed version or to
> refer that this map was done and changed with your cooperation.

It's unlikely you'll find someone to extract the data for you, but maybe.

>  Who can give me written permission to use map in commercial purposes and
> how it should be look like?

Already mostly answered. Probably the best way would be for there to be the
wording "Data for this map is in part derived from openstreetmap.org" and
"the contents of this map are licensed under the CC-BY-SA 2.0 license (
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ )" or something similar

> Shortly - what I should do in order to have right to use map in my own
> commercial purposes.
>
> Attribute OSM, license your map under an acceptable license

> How I can receive it in convenient file in order to edit.

see above

> Sorry, if you have answers at my questions already on your site, I just
> could not find them.

the wiki is extensive, check it out

> If this e-mail sent to wrong address, please give the right one.

Probably the best list would be the legal-talk list [6]

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QGIS
[4] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/