[Imports] [Talk-us] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:57:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> I absolutely agree about preserving user contributions. For any given
> segment in the Virginia RCL Shapefile, there are any number of ways in
> OSM that make up that segment, with varying attributes. The reverse is
> possible as well. Merging this won't be easy by any means. However
> there's no reason we couldn't start importing (sooner) in areas that
> haven't been edited since the TIGER import
>
> As for RoadMatcher, though I haven't played with it yet, I don't see
> how OSM attributes are lost, it's just that you have to map from
> OSM->Shapefile->OSM.
>
> Remember, I'm just broadcasting my interest, I have a lot of learning to
> do.

How about just converting the data to OSM format. Break it up by small,
manageable chunks such as census tracts.  Post the files somewhere.  Maybe
OSM-US can help provide a place for them.

Then allow local people to do the imports, using JOSM.  It won't necessarily
get imported all at once.  Some of the data may never get imported since
existing data is good in many areas.

Cheers,
Katie