[Imports] List of Lights, Data Import

Bernhard R. Fischer bf at abenteuerland.at
Tue Jan 11 10:43:34 GMT 2011

Hi!

I'd like to prepare the import of data of the "List of Lights" (marine lights,
necessary for sea charts and navigation). According to the OSM-Wiki/Imports I
shall post this here and describe the import in short.

The original data source is publicly downloadable from here:
http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/NIMA_LOL/Pub110/Pub110bk.pdf

I am not an expert in legal issues but as far as I understand the copyright
note on the title page of these documents it is allowed to used them. Maybe
somebody with more legal background could help me checking this copyright.

What I further did is that I already extracted all data from those documents
and prepared it for OSM import by using the OpenSeamap data scheme (this
mainly is 'seamark:*=*')

The result contains roughly about 45000 nodes which are distributed all over
the world (except USA, yet).

After import, there will be duplicates, approximately 2000 (according to my
current investigation, but I will work this out more precisely). I think, that
an automated matching of duplicate nodes will be impossible because the List
of Lights contains objects at much higher density which makes script-based
distinct matching impossible.

Best regards,
Bernhard