[Imports] street imports for Portland, Oregon, U.S.

PJ Houser stephanie.jean.houser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:40:58 GMT 2011

Hi all,

In Portland, Oregon, the region's transit agency Trimet (
http://www.trimet.org) is transitioning to an open-source trip planner (
http://maps5.trimet.org/otp/) <http://maps5.trimet.org/otp/%29>. The trip
planner will use OSM data for a multi-modal approach - walking, biking,
driving - and Trimet's route data. However, Portland data is not accurate
enough nor complete enough yet in OpenStreetMap, so my job is to help fix
that with Trimet and the community. The roads are often incorrect or do not
intersect properly, making consistently good routing impossible. Bike routes
and off-road trails are seriously lacking.

Recently, local datasets
(http://www.civicapps.org/)<http://www.civicapps.org/%29>have been
made public domain, and Trimet would like to update Multnomah
County and Clark County's streets using Metro's (the regional agency) data.
I'd love your input. We have a shapefile of *all *the streets along with
basic attributes, sufficient for routing. I've started learning about bulk
imports, but I don't want to overwrite the community's input, particularly
special tags or attributes that Metro's data does not contain (like
surface).

Questions:
1) How do you feel about some kind of automatic editing or (selective)
import? Other methods?
2) How do I go about doing that? (I heard of something called RoadMatcher)?
3) Any other input?

I also posed these questions to the talk-us list.

And for fair warning, I will soon be writing you all about importing bike
routes (as relations) and off-road trails. Both bike routes and off-road
trails are lacking in the Portland area and there seems to be less risk of
erasing users' work (as there isn't too much yet).

Thank you for any help or input you can provide.
--
PJ Houser
Trimet, GIS
houserp at trimet.org