[Imports] Announcement: Corine 2006 Land Cover Import for Republic of Ireland

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:30:47 GMT 2011

On 18 January 2011 10:19, Jaak Laineste <jaak at nutiteq.com> wrote:

>  I suggest to do deeper testing (than I did) to see will happen after import: import data to OSM dev API machine, and then try to get it fully fixed for some area; merge with existing lakes, city building regions etc. Polygon and relation modification tools have become better in later JOSM versions, but bunch of polygons and nice topological model of OSM just do not fit together in any easy way.

Tere Jaak,

I think you put a very reasonable case. Certainly, I would have
compared the circumstances of the Estonia import to those of our own.
Indeed, having had occasion to use the post-Corine map of Estonia I
had generally admired the results of the import. So it seems like
there is value in having the data in the map. We just need to
understand the consequence of living with it once it is there.

Importing onto a development server is a very sane idea, because your
point about editing difficulties is very relevant. To an extent, this
is a problem for editors to solve - if we somehow had 100% land cover
mapped accurately with no need for an import we would still need
editors to allow us to lock it into place as recent versions of JOSM
do (though I suspect many users don't realise). But the definition of
"unmaintainable" is "cannot be maintained by existing mappers with the
tools they use", so we really do need to understand how the map will
"feel" after this import.

Thanks for caring,
Dermot