[Imports] Questions about importing data for University of Vermont campus

Benjamin Mearns mearns at udel.edu
Fri Jan 28 21:02:51 GMT 2011

Hi Andrew,

At University of Delaware, we've just implemented OpenStreetMap as the
repository for our own campus map (www.udel.edu/maps).  I'm updating
data in a relatively automated way on our local repository, using a
flag which is set via administrator prompt.  There is a lot of data on
OpenStreetMap that doesn't appear under their renderer, so your data
can live there, regardless of whether it is published under their
public default instance (ours is, BTW).  Under our system, some users
(such as the person in our communications department that makes many
of the geometry updates) are trusted, so all changes they've made are
flagged to publish.  We use a combination of the osm_id plus
osm_version to maintain unique id's to all features.  Among other
components, I'm using geoserver, with a bunch of sld's, to publish my
map (I abandoned mapnik, because it did not suit my management needs,
and particularly because of issues with labeling many polygons in
close proximity to another with tiling .. though ultimately this is an
issue with Geoserver, as well).  I haven't fully documented our
system, but would be glad to let you know more about it, and share
code with you (mostly PHP).  You can find out a little more about it,
at our wiki: http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/docs/

BTW, if I were to do it again, I'd use Google Maps on the front end.
OpenLayers is still working on usability on mobile devices, among
other very time consuming quirks.  Still OSM, Geoserver, etc. is all
great on the backend.

Regards,

Ben

--
Ben Mearns
Research and Data Management Services, IT-Client Support & Services