[Imports] EC-JRC built-up areas / density of building from Bing

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Tue Jul 19 08:23:28 BST 2011

Hello,

  I agree also here - you should import as little as possible, and even better if never.

  But I have more general question here - is there a good enough repository for this kind of data sources? I have put some datasets as prepared .osm files to our ftp/website, but these tend to get outdated there before anyone really finds them. A central OSM file storage would be maybe too much (with online converter from shape to osm), but at least meta-directory would be nice, so this could be integrated to P2 and JOSM? In principle something there is GPS track database.

 Btw, I have tried the vector layer feature of P2, but for my (a bit larger/country-wide) datasets it did not work. I guess here you have also several MB files , not just couple of lines, so you need to break up the dataset to smaller regions or thematic "layers". I have also done conversion to .osm files with appropriate tagging before sharing the files, and used JOSM to copy&merge objects individually.

Jaak