[Imports] Import of Belize roads

Lars Kotthoff lists at larsko.org
Wed Mar 2 18:33:08 GMT 2011

Ok, I think I need some more pointers.

I have a line shapefile with attributes "highway" and "surface" and the values
they should have for each line. I've tried to export it to OSM using
- ogr2osm, which crashed on the full data and gives me points instead of lines
  in the final file with partial data,
- gpsbabel, which doesn't preserve the attributes (or even set them when I tell
  it to explicitly) and also gives me points,
- merkaartor, which imports the shapefile fine but doesn't keep the attributes,
- qgis with OSM plugin, which also doesn't keep the attributes.

Is there any way of doing this and preserving the attributes?

I also had a look at the cloudmade dump for Belize and a large number of nodes
are connected to a node several thousand km away from whereever it should be.

I've given up for now, any help would be appreciated.

Lars