[Imports] [Talk-us] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in the Portland area

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 07:57:14 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM, PJ Houser
<stephanie.jean.houser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> First, let me say that ESRI has been great regarding the OSM Editor. I
> contacted them with our problems, they responded within minutes, and now
> we're working together on determining if our problems are operator-based or
> editor-based.

Tom,

I'm going to remove the cross post in this discussion and keep the
discussion on the imports list, but I have some questions about the
issues you've brought up that maybe you can help me understand.

> We encountered 5 main problems:
>
> 1) Revision table does not explicitly store all changes, especially node
> modifications.
> -using the topology edit tool (with all of the OSM layers taking place in
> the topology)
> -selecting a point (node), moving that item, only indirectly moving the
> edge. The node would move (and move its connected ways along) whether it was
> attached to only one way or to multiple ways.

This is the expected behavior in OSM. A node, when moved, will effect
all ways/relations that have it as a member.

What behavior were you expecting?

(I'll expound on this more later in the mail).

> 4) Performance speed of downloading data - RESOLVED.
> FIX:
> Download speed is intentionally optimized for older machines. Testing never
> went beyond 150MB/s
> DOCUMENTATION:
> Should include expected minutes/MB for download.

Are