[Imports] Importing Arkansas data

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Mon Mar 28 20:25:13 UTC 2011

----- Original message -----
> Here is a popular perspective from the OSM community, "If parcel data
> can't be measured, confirmed or improved by OSM editors, why import
> it?"   Use it as an overlay somewhere, somehow.
At least in my little corner of the world, the parcel data is public record, so if I felt the desire to go to the records office and pull the legal description and owner information for all the parcels in a county, I could certainly do that. So it is, in a sense, something that an OSM editor can import, and even to some degree measure and confirm, if the survey markers are still in place and they can get access from the land owner.
In fact, I have in the past used public records to determine, for example, the extent of a commercial or residential development so that it can be tagged.

All that said, I don't know that, in the general sense, parcel data is a great fit for OSM. If you go all the way to individual lots in subdivisions, it could easily clutter up the map so much that it's difficult for future editors.
TBH, Karlsruhe scheme address points have that issue also, but there seems to be a strong consensus in favor of having those.
Probably the same place and license as http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Arkansas_Situs_Address_Points_Import (which I need to finish one of these days)