[Imports] Proposed import: Surrey, BC waterways

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Mar 29 06:31:53 UTC 2011

In short, the waterways in Surrey BC are largely from NHN data which in some
cases is accurate, but tends to be 20-30 years old. I'm proposing importing
data from the city, licensed under PDDL. I'm at least 2-3 weeks away from
being ready to do the import as I have some other priorities currently but I
wanted to get feedback.

I see this import as fixing two problems. The first is the old NHN data. The
second is the high number of unmapped ditches in Surrey. Because of the
nature of the soil, it is very common for houses to have drainage ditches in
front of them. These are largely unmapped, but the shapefiles appear to have
all ditches.

Legal: The data is licensed under PDDL, a compatible license.
Accuracy: The positioning is very good.
Completeness: Not all culverts are mapped. Random checks revealed no missing
ditches or streams.
Existing data: It was all mapped by me or imported. I am proposing removing
it.

There are more details at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:British_Columbia:Vancouver/Imports
/Surrey/Waterways about the exact tagging. I intend to refine this, but this
may require a couple of site surveys. Before importing I will post a sample
.osm file for review.