[Imports] Importing Data from OpenTopography and EarthScope

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:50:32 BST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Daniel Lee <lee at isi-solutions.org> wrote:

> In summary, that means that my company (International Solar Information
> Solutions) would contribute the building outlines to OSM with no licensing
> requirements. These data would be derived from the EarthScope Data, obtained
> from OpenTopography. My question here is: Both sources require
> acknowledgement (it's just a sentence that should be included with the data,
> you can find it here: http://www.opentopography.org/index.php/about/citing).
> Can we donate this data to OSM, or would it be more trouble than it's worth?
> Potentially, other city areas would be donated in the future; this is a
> small scale project that should hopefully be followed by more larger-scale
> things.

My feeling would be the best thing for you to do would be to make the
data publicly available, under whichever license details it ends up
with, in a file format of your choosing. You can then say to OSM
"here's some data you might find useful" and then the OSM community
can asses it, check the license details, combine it with whatever data
exists in OSM already, use it as a rendered background layer and so
on. Other projects might also find the data useful, either in whole or
in part, as a standalone dataset.

So I wouldn't worry about how to get it into OSM, just concentrate on
making it available publicly, and let the community use it if they
want to.

Cheers,
Andy