[Imports] Bad listoflights import

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri May 6 05:02:23 BST 2011

Back in March I noticed an import that impacted the area I map that had four
major problems.

1. There were errors in the tags that were corrected by xybot.
2. The accuracy of the nodes was horrible, being 200m off in places.
3. The tagging seemed questionable.
4. The local community was not consulted.

This import was the "listoflights" import
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/listoflights
An example node from the time was
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1199797231/history

I discussed this matter with the importer, but we were unable to come to an
agreement. He felt that 150m-200m was sufficiently accurate for OSM, there
was adequate consultation on the import and its tagging, that the scripts
would be fixed so xybot would not be cleaning up after it, and that he would
consult with the local mailing list before doing any more imports. I left it
here as we could not agree on the accuracy matters.

Today I found that the imports had been resumed with
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1271044573/history being an example
node.

I see that
1. xybot is still having to clean up
2. The accuracy problems appear to still be present
3. This import touched the Philippines but I was unable to find any
discussion on talk-ph@

In accordance with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Handling_bad_imports I
assumed good faith and tried to contact for the first time, but after the
import was continued without fixing the problems I believe the best way to
handle this would be to revert (i.e. delete) the nodes that have not been
touched by a mapper other than listoflights or xybot.