[Imports] NYC OpenData License Terms - Thoughts?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:10:14 GMT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> Have a look at:
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/data/terms.html

This license has been reviewed in the past and it's not compatible with OSM.

> One of the requirements seems fairly reasonable to me:
>
> "Include the following disclaimers at the site where the application can be
> accessed or downloaded:
> The City of New York can not vouch for the accuracy or completeness of data
> provided by this web site or application or for the usefulness or integrity
> of the web site or application.  This site provides applications using data
> that has been modified for use from its original source, NYC.gov, the
> official web site of the City of New York."
>
> Which is basically an attribution with some weasel words.

Attribution of this sort isn't possible inside OSM.

> But another one
> looks like real trouble:
>
> "The City may require a user to terminate any and all display, distribution
> or other use of any or all of the datasets or feeds for any reason
> including..."

This is also entirely unacceptable.

Also, there's no mention of mixing data, there's no mention of
redistribution or modification.

Data under this license is unusable for OSM.

- Serge