[Imports] Spain EGRN import assigns capital=yes to level 8 cities, upsets rendering

James Umbanhowar jumbanho at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:11:38 BST 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 08:20:48 AM Frederik Ramm wrote:
snip
> I suggest that we either remove capital=yes from these places again, or
> change our rendering rules to ignore capital=yes for all nodes in Spain
> with name != "Madrid" ;)
>
> Bye
> Frederik

From reading the wiki
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/capital) it seems as
though this type of tagging of capitals with admin_level as an additional tag
to represent what type of capital it is, has been proposed and has received
some support in the community.

While imports is not the place to discuss the merits of this tagging scheme
over others, I do see this as valuable information.  It is clear that it
currently does not match with rendering and has become obvious because of this
import.  I think the best solution is to identify the best way to tag
capitals/administrative centers and then how to render them.

James