[Imports] Acadia National Park

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Oct 24 13:48:41 BST 2011

Kerry Gallivan <kerry_gallivan at yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks, Greg, et al, for the feedback. The data is located on the NPS
> data store at the following URL:
>
> https://irma.nps.gov/App/Reference/Profile/2169900
>

> I imported the data into Merkaator to view and clean it up with
> labeling, etc. I'm quite familiar with the park (develop mobile apps
> for national parks - www.chimani.com) and the trails would complete
> the entire trail network. Currently there are only about 15% of trail
> coverage which has been traced by individual users.
>
> Thoughts?

I was waiting for others to chime in, but my take is that if you are
familiar with the park and are reviewing for sanity and
non-conflicting-ness all data that you are uploading, then that sounds
ok.  The "imports are usually bad because usually people mess up" vibe
is about adding data that no human looks at, duplicates or conflicts,
and ends up being low quality that it's a net minus.  But you may be
doing something that is closer to "manual mapping that is copying a (PD)
data source".