[Imports] US Forest Service boundaries for WY and NE

Roger Goldfinger rgoldfinger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:54:25 UTC 2012

Hi All,

One of your moderators informed me I should seek guidance on some imports I
made yesterday. They are:

#11196470 April 06, 2012 03:36 Added Buffalo Gap National Grassland
boundries from USNF data
#11196437 April 06, 2012 03:23 Added Thunder Basin National Grassland
boundries from USNF data
#11196408 April 06, 2012 03:15 Added Bighorn National Forest boundries from
USNF data
#11196396 April 06, 2012 03:12 Added Medicine Bow National
Forest boundaries from USNF data

For these imports, I converted the GIS boundary data from
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gis/datasets_regionwide.shtml to .osm using
merkaartor. I then opened the desired shares in josm, simplified them, and
added the tags suggested on the Forest Service Wiki.

Is this right, and if this isn't, how should I change it or what should I
do differently?

I was also wondering how I should import Black Hills National Forest. As
you can see here: http://g.co/maps/gav38 the forest is made up of nearly a
hundred tiny areas, and one big area with a cutout.

Is there a way to select all of the 100 ways that make up the forest
without selecting the nodes?
How to handle the cutout? An inner/outer relation?

Thanks,

Roger