[Imports] tiff, dwg and nad83

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sat Apr 14 18:52:14 UTC 2012

I live in a small city that is currently just a dot or blob on the
OpenStreetMap. I discussed this matter with the guy at City Hall who is in
charge of engineering, mapping and surveying and he stated that he would likely
be willing to provide the data for our city so it can be added if I can find
out exactly what you require and how to get it to you.

He told me that his data is currently in Tiff and Autocad DWG files, tied to a
GPS coordinate system called, I believe, NAD83. I wasn't smart enough at the
time to write that number down at the time, but I'm pretty sure that's what he
said.  He also said that he can convert his data into certain other formats, but
he didn't specify exactly which ones.

My current knowledge of this stuff is pretty much nil. My question is, what
would it take to convert this data to a format that can be uploaded to
OpenStreetMap? If it's something that would be quick and easy to do then he
would probably do it himself. If it's an involved process, I told him that I
might volunteer to do it myself if he will provide me with the data.

The first step, and the reason why I'm here, is to find out exactly what would
be involved in doing this, and then I can see about getting any required
permissions from the City to use their data, and go from there.

I've been playing with computers for over 30 years but have never done anything
at all with GPS stuff so it's all new to me. Therefore, an explanation starting
from the basics would be greatly appreciated. If I do the conversion myself,
all of my computers run Centos Linux.