[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Andrew Guertin Andrew.Guertin at uvm.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:32:30 BST 2012

The state of Vermont has boundaries in OSM for only a small fraction
of its towns. I have received explicit permission from VCGI[1] to
import their semi-authoritative and very well maintained boundary
data[2]--which would otherwise be under too ambiguous of a
license--into OSM.

I plan to use ogr2osm to convert the shapefile into an osm file, and
use JOSM to do manual work. I will use XAPI to download everything in
Vermont with either a boundary or place tag[3] as candidates for
replacement, modification, or deletion.

I am aware of numerous objects in OSM at present that will require
manual effort (e.g. roads and boundaries improperly sharing a way,
where the road should not be deleted), so everything will be manually
checked.

To my knowledge, nearly all existing data came from TIGER. I plan to
completely replace this. If any user-surveyed data is found it will be
reviewed case-by-case basis, as the VCGI data may be of higher quality
than a user survey.

Notwithstanding the above, there are few existing village and town
boundaries, and they will be replaced. County boundaries are currently
complete, but they will be replaced to match town boundaries. The
state boundary will not be modified[4].

I plan to use my normal account for this, as it is probably a single
commit. As requested, I will credit the Vermont Center for Geographic
Information and the State of Vermont--I plan to do this in object
source tags, in the changeset source, and on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors.

Any comments?
--Andrew

[1] http://www.vcgi.org/
[2]
http://www.vcgi.org/dataware/?page=./search_tools/search_action.cfm&query=theme&theme=003, layer
BoundaryOther_BNDHASH
[3] Are there any other tags I should be looking at?
[4] Except, of course, with the addition of nodes, etc, where
necessary for technical reasons