[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:44:33 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Andrew Guertin <Andrew.Guertin at uvm.edu> wrote:

> The state of Vermont has boundaries in OSM for only a small fraction of its
> towns. I have received explicit permission from VCGI[1] to import their
> semi-authoritative and very well maintained boundary data[2]--which would
> otherwise be under too ambiguous of a license--into OSM.

Is there a wiki page created for this import?  I think that's a good
place to keep all the info in addition to proposed tagging of the
imported data, info on the source, etc.  I think the page would be
named for the source "VCGI" and all imports from them listed there.

See the checklist:  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_guidelines

> I plan to use ogr2osm to convert the shapefile into an osm file, and use
> JOSM to do manual work. I will use XAPI to download everything in Vermont
> with either a boundary or place tag[3] as candidates for replacement,
> modification, or deletion.

I can't remember if ogr2osm handles overlapping segments (converting
them to multi-polygons).  I used a three step process:  load the
shapfile into postgis, process with a GIS tool (grass or QGIS), then
export to OSM or shape file for further processing before loading.

As mostly a manual mapper, I can stress that multipolygons are the way
to go for areas that are adjacent.

--
Eric Ladner