[Imports] import of data from LINZ

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 17 04:51:25 BST 2012

A few comments

Has the tagging been finalized?

Could you post a sample .osm of a typical area?

How were the building_use translations developed? Were only the descriptions
from LINZ used or were the from LINZ names to OSM verified for each mapping
by looking at imagery or another suitable means?

What verification is the importer expected to do before uploading, and is
this well-documented? Some multiple-person imports like CanVec have had very
inconsistent quality with some people just dumping the data in even when
it's clearly wrong.

I suggest having a requirement that the changesets are tagged with source=*
and attribution=*. It's also a good idea for the source to be linked in the
user page of the import accounts being used.

I also suggest instead of attribution=*, source_ref=*, LINZ:source_version=*
you just use source=LINZ v16

You cannot count on the attribution tag always being there as a user could
remove it - LINZ needs to be satisfied with attribution through the wiki
page and the history showing who imported it.