[Imports] canvec import in ontario

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 05:32:45 UTC 2012

On 29 July 2012 21:21, Jesse Davis <eccentric at slavery.cx> wrote:
> I'd like to import some canvec data for the area just north of Plevna,
> Ontario, Canada (NTS 031F02), which has not been imported and for the
> most part is completely blank. I have downloaded the most recent canvec
> 10 data and it looks like the import is easy enough to do using the
> provided osm files and the josm editor (I've done many edits in the past
> with josm).
>
> I imported a tile (NTS 031F02.0.0.0) before realizing that there were
> import guidelines, and I shouldn't just go ahead without first
> consulting the community. So, I'd just like to make sure it's ok to
> proceed.
>
> I will use a separate account for the imports as per the guideline.
>
> Is there anything else I should know or do before proceeding?

have a look at this page first:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

it covers some guidelines for what to do. i'd recommend going through
them, and posting back here with how you've got on with each stage.

in general though:
we have found with the current import in NZ, that it is best to
proceed with extreme caution, and involve all around you who may be
affected, taking account of everything they say

--
robin

http://fu.ac.nz - Auckland's Free University