[Imports] [Talk-us] Kern County progress

Nathan Mixter srmixter at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 02:03:31 UTC 2012

Yes, I guess it would be considered as a new import since it includes new
data not originally included from the city. But it is a selective import
since not all the data is new. I plan to do it in several small uploads so
I can verify the accuracy.

On Aug 20, 2012 6:36 PM, "Paul Norman" <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> It’s good to see some progress made on cleaning these up.
>

> Just be clear, are you proposing a new import at this time?

starting to not only look better but be less cluttered.
> I originally imported landuse data from both Kern County and the City of
Bakersfield. Some areas from these two agencies overlapped around
Bakersfield, and I have been going through and trying to remove these. The
city data were quite good and included landuse areas, buildings, parks and
even individual trees within the city. The county data tended to be generic
in several places. It also was slightly misaligned in spots particularly in
the rural areas, possibly due to the projection it was created with by the
county.
> I have been going through and systematically deleting the redundant areas
and breaking down the over used landuse=farm and landuse=residential tags
into more specific areas. And in the process, I have been covering some of
the ugly white space that has remained empty.
> A lot of the areas are now natural=heath. There is not really any good
way to differentiate between meadow and heath areas. Still seems like they
can be used interchangeably sometimes. I've been trying to use meadow for
an area that can be used for grazing. I just started using the heath tag
for open areas generally on areas east of Highway 5. It's not a perfect
option but at least it kind of matches the work others have done around Las
Vegas and in the desert.
> I've been trying to integrate the existing Kern County data with the FMMP
farm data, which I have imported for other counties around the state as
well.

> As part of the cleanup, I am adding some new buildings in Bakersfield
from city data. I am only adding new building that have been added since
the original import and verifying that they don't exist to avoid dups.
Probably less than 1,000 total new buildings. Originally, I included
bak:fac_type1, bak:fac_type2 and bak:fac_type3 tags on some buildings to
correspond to tags in the data. These are not needed and can be removed en
mass by a script in the future. I am leaving those tags out and
incorporating them into the building= tag (ie building=residential,
building=commercial) for new buildings.
of the changes (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kern_County,_California).

> Thanks to everyone who has contacted me to help out with the cleanup and
offered advise. If anyone is interested in helping or has any suggestions,
feel free to jump in or let me know.