[Imports] Seattle Imports

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Dec 12 03:54:29 UTC 2012

I've attempted to use the address merge script. However I'm getting an
error message when merging. I'm sure the error is due to the operator not
the script. The script hangs with an TypeError: must be string or read-only
buffer, not None.

Rather than pursue the problem, I'm going continue with our original plan
of having the community manually import the addresses. Let me give some
reasons why I feel this way:

   - Having the local community import the data gives us a sense of
   ownership of the data we are importing.
   - We educate more people on the import process.
   - We learn how to use JOSM to cleaning import data.
   - Many eyes will improve the data quality.

After doing a trial import, I'm convinced that JOSM is the right tool.
Imports can be as small as necessary to insure quality. The conflation
plugin works great to identify duplicates. The only downside is the
importing will take longer.

When we come to cities with no active community, the merge script might be
better. One person could easily import the addresses. Before we come to
that, the merge script should be fully tested, similar to the
road abbreviation bot.

Comments welcome.
--
Clifford