[Imports] addressmerge 0.1 release

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Dec 12 07:37:21 UTC 2012

Like Seattle? It doesn't even have to be the same street, just the same
named street with numbering that runs in the same range. I don't know how
many Main Streets there are in the US, but there's a lot. E911 has helped
make addresses less ambiguous but it's still not without issues.

> But you still can locate the node or building in one of the city
> admin polygons.

If they exist and aren't broken. I've cleaned up a lot of the ones near the
border in Whatcom county but there's still a lot of broken admin_level=8
relations and ways.

My edits have tended to be more in Whatcom county, but I am from the general
area and knowing the city and the map I think addr:city makes sense to tag
here.

> Especially from someone who promotes the move of the tag 'source' from
> the elements to the changesets.

You have me confused with others. In many situations source=* is unnecessary
and people frequently include it on the mistaken belief that it's legally
necessary or has some legal significance but it still makes sense at times.
In any case, there's a clear difference between source=* and addr:city. One
is meta-data and the other is data, so this comparison isn't particularly
relevant, even if it was accurate.