[Imports] Making the current guidelines/code of conduct about imports/automated|mechanical edits clearer and merged

Robert Coup robert at coup.net.nz
Fri Dec 21 02:39:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, sly (sylvain letuffe)
<liste at letuffe.org>wrote:

> Le mercredi 19 décembre 2012 23:16:29, Glen Barnes a écrit :
> > Agreed. If you are doing a 'managed import' of bulk data (rather than an
> > automated import)
> What do you define as "managed" ?

What Glen is referring to is what we're doing in New Zealand:

   - A lot of diverse layers, many small, some large.
   - Community tagging/approval process for each layer
   - User checkouts of a specific layer + geographical area, limited by
   number of features
   - Automated generation of .osm files for each checkout
   - Manual merging with any existing features in JOSM; deciding "best";
   merging tags; verifying with imagery; etc. Upload results to OSM.
   - Mark checkout as approved, move onto the next one

So I guess "managed" means "no bots; no automated uploads;
software-assisted generation of .osm files, then manual merging process"

> > then you may have 100 volunteers. Do they each need a
> > separate upload account? Should they all share 1 login?
>
> Both are okay, but they mustn't use their own account for other manual
> edits.
> (I'm just expressing the de facto rule)

Seems like 100 people sharing a single account is a recipe for disaster,
even moreso than using their own individual (not _import) accounts for
importing.

Rob :)