[Imports] [Talk-us] Proposed import: Alaska Boroughs/CPDs

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Thu Dec 27 19:10:09 UTC 2012

Paul -

I'm grateful for your efforts here.

I'd like to use this import as a test case for further discussing our
current import guidelines and policies.

In particular:
- Is 3 days a suitable duration for reviewing proposed imports?
- Should there be an entry for this import on the Import Catalogue page?
- Should the Alaska import use a separate account from other imports you've
coordinated?

Yes, these q's may sound a little snarky (hopefully in a friendly way ; )
), but I am sincerely interested in resolving answers to these questions so
we can help clarify guidance moving forward.

(my take on the answers are: no (2 weeks minimum), no (that page is a
disaster), and no clue.)

Thanks, Jeff

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> >> From: Paul Norman [mailto:penorman at mac.com]
> >> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Proposed import: Alaska Boroughs/CPDs
> >>
> >> Given that the comments received have been generally positive and the
> >> concerns raised are addressed I'm going to go ahead and start post-
> >> processing the data so I can merge it in as well as figuring out how the
> >> heck to identify all the existing imported borough/CPD boundaries, all
> >> tagged differently.
> >
> > Completed successfully. Because the boundaries are now much less "nodey"
> the
> > boundaries went from about 170k nodes to 25k nodes.
> >
> > I added wikipedia=* and website=* tags as applicable. Wikipedia tags
> should
> > help Nominatim determine importance when there are two places with the
> same
> > name.
> >
> > As most states aren't adding counties at the rate that Alaska has added
> > boroughs I doubt it'll come up again but I documented the SQL I used to
> > identify and delete the existing boundaries without conflicts on deleted
> > nodes at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Alaska/TIGER_Counties.
>
> Thanks for cleaning this up.
>
> Toby

Jeff Meyer