[Imports] Bibb County, GA building footprints import

Nicholas Doiron nickd at codeforamerica.org
Sun Jun 10 18:32:35 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm working with Code for America to create applications for Macon,
Georgia. I recently gained access to a 2007 building footprints layer
including Macon and surrounding Bibb County. The footprints are on the
county's ArcGIS Server and in tiles which they will release publicly in the
near future.

OpenStreetMap coverage for this area is mostly roads from an outdated TIGER
import. A handful of people have traced city hall, school and university
campuses, and a few other buildings. To maintain the community's existing
work, I can do an inventory of buildings currently in OSM through
Migurski's city Metro Extracts: http://metro.teczno.com/#macon-ga and avoid
overwriting them.

I'm new to the OSM imports list, so please let me know how I should handle
this dataset. I'd also appreciate your advice on communicating the
importance of OSM to a local government.

Regards,
Nick Doiron
2012 Fellow (Macon)
Code for America