[Imports] Fwd: Re: Spanish cadastre

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Wed Mar 28 07:44:08 UTC 2012

Hello,
 My short summary of my experiences from mass-imports:

 - Never mass-upload data to OSM. It usually creates a lot of too detailed and non-maintained information in the database. It is not maintained for multiple reasons: (1) raw quantity (there is too much of it), so loading of complex data (e.g. land usage relations) data to editors is slower, simple editors like potlach2 which have no tag filters would from it. (2) even more important - there is no owner of every piece/region, importers cannot keep their eye on nation-wide datasets. (3) new users will see that "there is ready map" and they do not bother to check/update it. Maybe it does not really kill the community, but it can really discourage it. It is extremely important to understand that the community must come first, not the map.

 - Proper importing would be manual copy-pasting in individual object level, but the big .osm files what you probably get as result of cat2osm are technically hard to use: slow to download and open/manipulate in JOSM.

My suggestions:

  - Instead of static .osm files create a service which provides small pre-tagged filtered extracts from the external data by theme/tag and bounding box. Use OSM (X)API as API for it, and there are several opensource xapi server solutions.

  - Extend JOSM so it is easier to use multiple map services: main DB and your local data sources. Currently you can do it kind of manually:
1) change API URL in settings, then download data from your imports server based on bbox,
2) then change API URL to api.osm.org,
3) then download real data to second layer;
4) then you merge them: copy-paste, merge nodes/relations etc,
5) then upload to api.osm.org

 The problem is that 1-2 here is hard, (maybe) even JOSM restart is needed; so you need to save data temporarily in local .OSM file, otherwise JOSM looses loaded data with restart. Also you cannot add extra query parameters there to filter tags/theme which you are interested in. But at least BBOX creation is user-friendly.

 I have myself used File>Open URL in JSOM, but manually creating proper XAPI URL with BBOX and other filters there is way too much; I could use it only because I have created the server-side part myself.

 I also have dream about MetaMapping service where external datasets do not need to be copied to OSM at all, and instead links would be used [1], but I do not see own time to make it to reality. Any volunteers?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenMetaMap

Jaak