[Imports] Fwd: Re: Spanish cadastre

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:40:05 UTC 2012

I find a bit strange the way you plan the import. The source is
providing the same dataset quality and completness for all
municipalities but each contributor will be able to choose his own
subset (e.g. with or without landuse or parcels) based on personnal
assumptions. This will lead to a hugh inconsistency between
neighborhoods.
You also have to know that once your tool is published, you will
quickly find dumped osm extracts"ready to import" for the whole
country even with parcels and landuse. And quickly some irresponsible
contributors will blindly upload everything.
>From our similar experience with the french cadastre, I would advice
to publish a tool where the output is not configurable, data is
already simplified and geometry issues fixed (like polygons, lines,
points overlapping or not joining, etc). Do not expect that people
will take care about quality before uploading. Even if most of the
contributors will, some of them are just looking for quantity, not
quality, as soon as it renders good enough on the mapnik slippy map.
And they don't care if the map is not or hardly editable with current
editors after their import.

Pieren