[Imports] Import der IENC-Kartendaten der Wasser und Schifffahrtsverwaltung des Bundes

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 8 17:45:33 UTC 2012

> I still find it strange to prefix everything with "seamark", e.g.
> landmark or harbour, objects for which there is also standard tags in
> OSM (what do we gain in duplicating them in different namespaces?).

The tags with keys that are prefixed "seamark:" are explicitly direct
equivalents to objects and attributes registered in the IHO S-100
catalogues and have meanings defined by IHO. This enables direct
conversion between marine ENC files and OSM tags (and vice versa). The
imported data from WSV is encapsulated in IHO ENC files.

It is not a problem to have dual tagging of objects, indeed it is
necessary to differentiate the vernacular/OSM meaning of terms from the
marine navigation meanings of the same vocabulary.

Malcolm