[Imports] Importing japanese train stations from Wikipedia

Fabien SK fabiensk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:35:43 BST 2012

Le 12/10/2012 20:42, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> but you would also use the coordinates to the names. I guess this
> would in the EU fall under the database directive and be protected
> similar to copyright. I am also not a lawyer that's why I am not sure
> how to handle this. If everything (you, the wikipedia server, the
> wikipedia authors(?)) were outside the EU it would be simple. I guess
> in the EU the case you link to in [2] would have to be judged
> differently.
>
> Another issue which is often mentioned in conjunction with the idea to
> import/use  wikipedia geodata is that the georeferencing there is
> often done with sources whose usage terms do not allow extraction of
> information from the imagery (e.g. Google). Wikipedia seems to
> tolerate this (or maybe it is covered by fair use), but OSM is more
> cautious and didn't allow in the past to use geo-information from
> wikipedia for this reason.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

No I did not used the coordinates, only the names. The train stations
already exist in Openstreetmap. In JOSM, I either:
- manually download a train station having only a japanese name
- download an area with train stations, or the members of a railway
relationship
Using their japanese name as a key, I looked at their Wikipedia for
their page and extract the names in other forms.

I did not know about the database directive, so I think it seals my
hopes of import :-(

Thank you for your answer