[Imports] Importing locality names from GeoScience Australia dataset.

Li Xia lisxia1982 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:48:54 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

A quick intro, I'm Li, founder of mud-maps.com

We are currently working on a rendering engine that supports OSM for iOS
and after running some number os the Australian OSM data, i've noticed that
it's lacking a lot of place names. Comparing OSM data to GeoScience (GA)
data, here are some numbers.

• place:locality = around 1000 as of 23 Oct 2012.
• GeoScience locality = around 20,000.

I've extracted the place:locality, hamlet, suburb, violate, town, city data
nodes from OSM australia and GA data and ran a name string comparison to
eliminate duplicates and would like to upload the difference to OSM.

I have 2 questions:

1. Can anyone suggest tags other than the following?
name:<different>
place:locality
source: © Commonwealth of Australia (GeoScience Australia) 2006.

2. Using JOSM at the moment and uploads take a while, is there a better way
of bulk uploading data?

Look forward to your suggestions.