[Imports] Warning: blocklist Halifax Open Data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Apr 10 14:32:19 UTC 2013

Hi Open Data fans.

The Municipality of Halifax has announced an Open Data Pilot.  Sadly, they
wrote their own license and it is incompatible with the OpenStreetMap data
license, possibly with any other license of any type any where, and common
sense.  In their first term they declare their license to be "revocable".

So. Beware.  Don't go near the Halifax data if you are an OSM contributor.

If you are developing an outside project, I wouldn't touch it either.  They
claim to be able to squash your project by pulling the data if they don't
like it.

And if you are involved in the Halifax Open Data Pilot, well, I'm sure you
have the best intentions.  So far it hasn't worked out very well for you.