[Imports] TIGER realignment import

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Mon Aug 5 22:26:23 UTC 2013

Earlier today I posted on imports-us (
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports-us/2013-August/000214.html)
that I would like to start checking in an import to update the US data that
came from TIGER and that hasn't been edited in OSM with corrected
geometries from the Census Bureau's 2010 update, and Serge Wroclawski
suggested I should post here too.

To quote what I said there:

Hi everybody. It's probably time for me to stop just talking about
> importing the TIGER realignment and actually do something.

> Last night I reran the program (
> https://github.com/ericfischer/osm-tiger-update) to generate .osc files
> for the entire realignable country. If anyone wants to take a look, I've
> started uploading them to http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/ but they add
> up to more than 4GB and will take a few more hours to finish copying from
> my slow home network.

I've opened some of them up in JOSM to look at them (and they seem to look
> generally reasonable there) but haven't actually uploaded any of them to
> the OSM servers. The files are by county, with counties with more than
> 20,000 changes split into multiple files.

My questions are:

1. Is there still general agreement that it is a good idea to import
> realignments for places that have been neglected in OSM?
> 2. Is it OK for me to go ahead and start submitting some of these? (I'll
> make an import account.)
> 3. Is there a test server where I should try submitting them first?
> 4. Is there an upload script I should be using instead of doing it from
> JOSM?
> 5. Do the files look sensible now to people who have more experience with
> .osc files?

I also wrote up a page about my plans on the wiki (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_Realignment) and added a county
index page (http://trafficways.org/tiger/out/counties.html) to make it
easier to look up the changes for individual counties by name.

Thanks for any advice you might have about improvements to the process or
to the files.

Eric