[Imports] TIGER realignment import

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Tue Aug 6 03:59:22 UTC 2013

Sorry to have been so unclear about what will happen with these .osc files.

The files I made will never actually delete any ways, only relocate them if
TIGER relocated them, because when a way is in TIGER 2006 but not TIGER
2010, I don't have any way to know whether it was actually deleted or
whether it was just renumbered because it was split.  I think there will
have to be a second, more manual, process to investigate TIGER deletions
and figure out what they really mean.

The case of way 5836549 is really strange, because clearly it doesn't
exist, yet the TIGER revision not only moved it but also added nodes to it.
TIGER road class A74 is a private service road, so I'm guessing it was
probably intended to be part of the driveway a little to the east.

I imagine what happened is that way 5836728 was the one they were really
reshaping, and anything adjacent to it was just warped into a corresponding
position relative to the relocated road. I think the intermediate nodes may
be because there is some other block/census tract/etc. division that the
relocated street crosses, and they had to add the nodes to keep that line
where it crosses the relocated road. But it certainly shows the value of
manual review.

Eric