[Imports] Automated Edit Proposal, remove area=yes, and fix broken source tag in US Massachusetts

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 22:35:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

In 2009 user crschmidt imported 290,000 buildings around Boston. An
example changeset

Three tags were used.

building=yes
area=yes
source = MassGIS Buildings (http://www.mass.gov/mgis/lidarbuildingfp2d.htm)

The proposal is to run an automated edit to remove the area=yes tag
completely and to replace the source tag value with the official name
of the data set used for the import: "MassGIS Data - Building
Footprints (2-D, from 2002 LiDAR data)". The area tag is not needed
anymore, and the source tag has a broken URL and is missing the data
set name.

The source code for the automated edit is here.

https://github.com/jremillard/osm-import-toolkit/tree/master/examples/removeAreaFromBuilding

The wik is here.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MassGIS_Import_Tag_Cleanup_2013

The changeset tags would be
* comment = Remove redundant area tag and fix broken URL in source tag
on imported buildings from 2009/2010.
* source = MassGIS Data - Building Footprints (2-D, from 2002 LiDAR data)
* bot=yes

Many imports were done in Massachusetts around 2009/2010. If this
works out, we would like to run other automated edits to cleanup other
issues. This specific issue is not the worse problem, but was chosen
for its simplicity.

The software is new, and I am hoping to focus the review on it, rather
than a tagging discussion.

Thanks
Jason