[Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Aug 22 14:07:35 UTC 2013

There are at least two sets of GNIS data that were imported separately. I
know of at least the populated places (original import scripts here:
http://beej.us/osm/cityosm/, no wiki that I know of.) and the POI type
features (I don't know if and where the original import information is
preserved for those). That may be the source of the confusion regarding the
unique identifier.

I support the notion of preserving lineage through a unique identifier *as
long as that identifier is still meaningful*. (TIGER for example no longer
maintains the same identifiers imported with the 2005 data).

Also, a look at the GNIS metadata page may help resolve some of the
discussion topics in this thread:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/metadata.htm

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>wrote:
>

>> gnis:feature_id
>> gnis:id
>> GNIS_ID
>>
>> and, in fact, several others less widely used.
>>

> tag gnis appears to have feature ID's also.
> I'd be in favor of deleting EVERYTHING in the gnis: space (except id, ele,
> fcode).  Consolidate any 6 or 7 digit ID into gnis:feature_id.

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/